Adult Training & Awards
When leaders understand the why and how of Scouting, they provide a quality, fun-filled program for boys. It is often said, “Every Scout deserves a trained leader,” but it is also true that “Every leader deserves training.”
Completing training will not only make your job as a leader easier, but it will make it more fulfilling and will give you confidence as you fulfill your responsibilities.
How can I get trained?
- Training Requirements – Everything you need to know to become fully trained for your position.
- E-Learning – Online courses are now offered for most positions. You now no longer must seek out classroom offerings to be fully trained for your position.
- Live Instructor Training – The Shelby District and the Greater Alabama Council also provides classroom training during the year. Follow the calendar to learn when the next training course is scheduled. The information box (to the right) shows recent training blog posts as well. Another great resource is the Shelby District Newsletter.
- Roundtable – A wealth of information is shared montly at the Shelby District Roundtable.
Where do I find training events?
There are two awards that an adult leader must be nominated to receive:
- District Award of Merit Nomination Form (click here for list of previous recipients)
- Unit Leader Award of Merit
Adult leaders can earn awards and other recognition by completing the training required for their position and meet specific performance measurements. Below is the list of the awards that adult leaders can apply to be recognized as having earned. Click on the award name to download a progress tracking sheet that is submitted when all requirements for the award are completed.
Cub Scout Awards
- Den Leader Training Award
- Cubmaster’s Key
- Scouter’s Training Award for Cub Scouting
- National Summertime Pack Award
Boy Scout Awards
- Scouter’s Training Award for Boy Scouting
- Scoutmaster’s Key
- BSA National Outdoor Challenge Unit Award
- Roundtable Commissioner
- District Commissioner
- Arrowhead Honor – District Commissioner
- Arrowhead Honor – Assistant District Commissioner
- Arrowhead Honor – Assistant District Commissioner – Roundtable
- Commissioner Key – District Commissioner or Assistant District Commissioner
- Commissioner Key – District Commissioner – Roundtable or Assistant District Commissioner – Roundtable
- Unit Commissioner
- District Committee
Please mail or deliver Award Forms to:
Greater Alabama Council
P.O. Box 43307
Birmingham, AL 35243