Troops, Packs and Crews:
March is Shelby District Hiking Month!
When? March 1-April 4
What? March is Hiking Month! Get out with your units for some exercise, fun and fresh air!
Why? It’s a unit competition for prizes!
1) Most miles hiked by a unit (pack and troops/crews)
2) Most miles hiked by a unit normalized by # registered participants (i.e., miles hiked/# registered participants)
3) Most miles hiked by an individual scout (Top 3 for prizes)
4) Most miles hiked by a registered leader
5) Total unit participation points (normalized by # of participants)
Registration: $5 per participant, includes special patch and ribbons for top performing units. Special prizes for top 3 individuals. Registration fees can be made payable to Greater Alabama Council.
Unit participation points will be awarded as follows*:
Miles hiked (1 point per mile)
10 points for each different trail location hiked (Oak Mtn, Red Mtn Park, Moss Rock, etc.)
5 points per scout that performs trail maintenance (other than litter pickup)
25 points if weekly turn-in occurs on Monday, 20 points for Tuesday turn-in.
50 points for troops (60% participation of eligible youth) for programs covering requirements 1 & 2 of the Hiking Merit Badge (First Aid and Good Hiking Practices) or program on Section 8 on Hiking in BSA Handbook; or for Pack/Crew programs featuring hiking safety and first aid or completion of rank-specific hiking requirements for advancement or electives.
*Miles and points will be reported by unit leader (or designee) electronically to Jim Ripple (). Miles should be rounded to nearest mile.