The Greater Alabama Council has been asked by IndyCar Racing to handle the flag ceremony for the 2018 Indy Race at Barber’s Motorsports Park. The Council has been involved with this event for the past 3-4 years and it’s an honor to be asked to do so again. The goal is to have at least 50 Scouts and Leaders to participate. They will handle the “BIG” flag for the opening ceremony on Sunday, April 22nd.
As in the past, parking passes and general admission passes will be provided to the participating Scouts and Leaders, as well as parent/guardian, if not participating in the ceremony. Here are the details:
- Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, Venturers, Explorers—must be in FULL uniform—pants, shirt, neckerchief
- Leaders—must be in FULL uniform—-pants, shirt, neckerchief
- If the Scout’s parent is not a uniformed leader, a parking pass and general admission pass will be provided. HOWEVER, THE NON-UNIFORMED PARENT MAY NOT GO ONTO THE TRACK FOR THE CEREMONY—THEY MUST REMAIN OUTSIDE THE FENCE. ONLY UNIFORMED VOLUNTEERS WILL BE ALLOWED THROUGH THE GATE ONTO THE TRACK.
If you are interested in participating, please e-mail Jay Elliott at with the following info:
- Number of participating Scouts
- Number of participating uniformed leaders
- Number of non-uniformed parent/guardian passes needed